Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sardine with chillies

I don't know what to call this dish. This is my all-time favourite easy meal. However, I cannot make this very often because my hubby is prone to gout. My dad used to make this when we were young and I think his tastes better than my mom's *lol* We usually make this when we have plenty of bread (to get rid off) or when mom's not cooking. I love to have this with french loaves .. yummy.

I know that some people don't like sardines because of the smell. I love sardine including the smell *LOL* but adding freshly squeezed lime juice is a good way to get rid of it (be generous). Chillies are optional if you don't like spicy, but for me personally it will not taste as good without them.


Ingredients:
1 tall can sardines, mashed (I like Ayam brand)
1 japanese cucumber, cut into small cubes
1 medium red onion, sliced thinly or cut into small cubes
2 red fresh chillies, thinly sliced, remove seeds if don't want spicy (optionally)
juice from 10 small limes (or more)

Method:
1. Mix them all up

Dump everything on the mashed sardines




Lovely juicey limes



Serve this with hot french loaves .. or sliced bread if you like :-)


8 comments:

Rusti said...

Hi Zu
I grew up on this too. My dad loves this and mum used to make this for him when she is too lazy to cook. However we do not mash the sardines but serve them whole and we shred the cucumbers, onions and chillies instead. And yes, lots and lots of lime juice.
Sardines are versatile. My Indian friend used to serve them fried with chilli and curry powder on a bed of shredded cucumber and onions.
Ginny

Zurynee said...

Ginny, i love sardines in any form *lol* I make sambal, curry with it and even steam it. I also make sure i keep stock a few cans of it just in case I run out of ideas.

Zu

Jennifer said...

Hi Zu

When I started to cook, I always like to cook sardine with stir fry onion, chilli, then add some chilli sauce and lime juice to it.
I haven't cook sardine for a long time as no one in the family likes except me. Your post brings back memory of my own dish, I should go give a small can and cook some for myself.

Regards,
Jennifer

0s0-Pa said...

No offense, but I think I lost my appetite for lunch today :S
-Jack @ Utah Wedding Catering

Cheryl Marie Cordeiro said...

Hi Zu,

I've just found your blog - banana cake recipe - and I'm loving it!

I'm a Singaporean living in Sweden, missing all the Singapore food *LOL*, so your blog's really nice to lounge around in and see if I can bring some Singapore food to Sweden.

Best wishes,
Cheryl

Utah BBQ Restaurants said...

That's very creative, i think i'll try it out.

Species 8472 said...

I make this as well, but with tomatoes instead of cucumber!

Zurynee said...

Neko, that sounds nice. I have never tried with tomatoes, maybe will give it a shot :)

Thanks
Zu