Friday, February 24, 2012

Easy Roasted/Char Siew Chicken


This is an easy dish which you can make using either regular wok or happycall pan if you have.  For this, I used my happycall pan because it cuts short the cooking time. 

I got the recipe from a booklet given to me when I bought a hard anodised wok from Tangs a few years ago.  I totally forgotten all about it until I found it recently while cleaning up my room.  This is a very simple dish, you can have this with plain rice, chicken rice or even wanton or chicken noodles, chinese style.  You can also use it to make pau fillings.  I used chicken for my version but you can use other white meat to your liking.



What you need:
500g lean chicken, cut into thin pieces (you don't want it to be too thick)
Cucumber for garnishing

Seasoning
80gm sugar
1T dark soya sauce
1T light soya sauce
1tsp salt (i omit this because the soya sauce to me is already salty)
1/2 tsp pepper (more if you like)
1tsp char siew coloring or red coloring (optional)
2tsp oil (if you are using your happycall pan you can omit this if you want)

What you do:
1. Marinate the chicken with the seasonings preferably overnight, if not at least 4 hrs
2. Heat the pan and add 2 tsp of oil, place all the chicken pieces and cook till they are fragrant, if you are using hcp, close it and let it cook for 2 minutes
3. Flip the chicken pieces over to ensure the other side is cook
4. Add 1 cup of water to the seasonings and pour into the pan/wok and let it simmer till almost dry, flip the chicken pieces in between the cooking
5. Once the chicken are cooked and nicely coated with the caramelised sauce, take them out, sliced them thinly and serve

3 comments:

yahfiq said...

thanks Zu for sharing.. :)

Zurynee said...

you are welcome.

Menrva26 said...

Cant wait to try this!! Thanks : )